Saturday, June 18, 2022

First Trip of the Summer to Pennsylvania

 Greensburg, PA (Hi 70  Lo 45)

I didn't do anything but massage and chiropractor at the beginning of the week.  

Wednesday Ruth picked me up at 6am for the trip to Pennsylvania. We had a packed car and ready to roll. The weather was great and the traffic was normal even in the big cities along the way. The trucks were everywhere. I'm not sure why the stores have empty shelves, there's sure enough goods getting to them. We went thru Indiana, Ohio, W. Virginia and into Pennsylvania.  (Click on the photos to enlarge). 




Note:  Not sure why font color changed but I can't get it black. This sign was directing us to another road which was a detour. We laughed how they tried to make another sign to the say the right thing. The five is whited out but reflection from the sun it made it look like 5 was the route to take. 
We stopped every three hours for a break and change drivers. Gas was $5.09 a gallon on the first stop for fuel. Ruth has a Traverse and gets 34 miles per gallon so we made it Greensburg, PA in 11 1/2 hours on one tank. The second tank was $4.89 in Pennsylvania.  It's a beautiful country side. The hills and turns are scary for a Floridian. I forgot how gorgeous it is up here. We had to change rooms when we first got to the motel, no electricity to the bathroom and the hall light didn't work. We have a beautiful view from our room window. 


                                            Our motel from hi-way 30

                                                Ruth:  We're in a dog park on the 3rd floor. 
                                            Storms passed us. 
                                        Check the background hills in the next two pictures. They change a lot. 

Friday we headed to Butler County library. The place is huge! We were directed to a special room for genealogy. Ruth is tracking down family members that lived in this area. With some instructions we hit some land selling/buying book and I learned to find the family names. Why do I say learned?  The scribbling had to be deciphered  to correctly pick out the right name. It took awhile. There's rows of books on two floors. Very well kept up. 

Outside the Genealogy room. 

We were on a time crunch because she wanted to go to another county to look up more info. We found a few more "connections" and she was a happy gal. The train was in the room with us. I thought it looked so cool and big,  I wanted to share it. 

We brought food from home with us so we don't eat out all the time. We have a refrigerator and microwave. We have plates, utensils and we're set for the week. 

On Saturday morning we worked on the computer with Ruth's family and I got the brainy idea to see about my mom's side of the family. I was told that we didn't have much of a family on mom's side, we found my great grandma and pa had eight kids. Oh, boy, now I'm curious so we worked a bit on my family. I'm not pursuing it, but the kids can with what I copied off. 

We went to Greenburg winery today. It was gorgeous day breezy and cool. We sat out awhile and watched a wedding party. The place had a lot of people but we did some wine tasting and bought a couple bottles.
These big guys were walking around picking up what people dropped. 
Lunch plates with three tacos, beans and rice for lunch. 
Piece of pie with ice cream was also available. 
Some other farm animals. 
Two little girls were feeding the goat. 
An old church that closed in 1966 was on the way to Greenburg. 
This will be a two part series. I'll post again next Saturday for the rest of the trip.  

4 comments:

Mark from Missouri said...

Looks like a fun trip. I can relate as we just finished searching for family roots in Tennessee.

I had been holding off discussing a topic pending or now canceled trip plans to see ya. So might as well talk about it here. Cabin camping!

You mentioned in an earlier blog post researching car camping. Have you done any research on cabins as an alternative to motels? Seems like a way to experience time with RVers and more. Karen and I have talked about cabin camping once we leave the road. Not sure how many Corp of Engineer parks have cabins but with a 50% America the Beautiful pass the price might be doable. Or maybe even the military parks you can get into.

Jenny J Manuel said...

Sounds like a fun trip ——I love doing genealogy - if you need help or have question just ask me

Anonymous said...

Mark my family is in Tennessee also —- 40,000 Stouts all related to me

Debbie V. said...

Ruth is so lucky to have a friend to come along on her genealogy ventures. It is time consuming but so much fun when you can find more to the story of your ancestors.

Electronics Assistants - Birthday Party - Sing-a-long

  Shalimar, FL    (Hi   80  Lo  65) Sunday was so much fun and a learning experience. About 15 school kids came in to help residents with ce...