Saturday, June 11, 2022

Inaugural Nascar Race - Birthday Celebration

 Shiloh, IL (Hi  85  Lo 65)   Thank you for all the birthday wishes. There's nothing better then having friends that reach out to wish me a happy birthday. 

Sunday, Frank and I went to the inaugural NASCAR Race in Madison, IL.  We started out at 10am to be sure to get there in time to look around and experience the whole thing. We both haven't been to a race since 2013. It was so much easier to get in and out then any other race we've experienced. Jim would have been excited about that, he hated all the traffic to the races. It was a perfect temperature of 82 and cloudy part of the day so we didn't burn real bad with the use of sun screen. We walked a little over 3 miles for the whole seven hours we were there. The view to the backstretch was hidden by a new building they put up for this race but it was still an excellent race going four wide at times. Here's some photos. Please click on photos to enlarge. It was sold out with 60,000 people. That's a huge attendance for the first race in the area. 

                       Jeff Gordon quit racing so now I root for Joey Lagona. I couldn't believe he won.  

                                        The string of cars on the right are backed up for miles coming into the track. 
                                This is where we're parked, about a mile to the track. 
Planes from Scott, AFB, B1 Bombers (loud ones) The smaller ones were a team that does acrobats, but today they did a couple flybys. 

                                            We were basically in front of the score tower. 
                                        This is just part of the souvenir trailers and crowd. 
People leaving going over the main road on a bridge. It didn't take as long as we thought it would. 
                                    The proof we were there.  Frank and Dee. We sure missed Jim. 

Tuesday was "Lobsta" day. For 23 yrs I have gone to dinner for lobster. Jim always did something special and was great on making sure where ever we were while traveling, I'd have a lobster for my birthday, until last year. He was in the hospital with brain surgery recovery. He couldn't talk but somehow got the nurse to get me a balloon and flowers from the gift shop. It was so surprising. I never left his side to get lobster anytime last year. So this year, my sister came to be sure I got my lobster and we'll continue the lobsta tradition. How old? 74 Years and I worked hard to get to this age, so I'm proud.
We went to Woods Bakery in downtown O'Fallon for pastries and a gooyie butter cake. Then went into some other stores in town like a new chocolate store. I guess I'll have plenty of goodies to eat. I got gas which took a chunk of money, luckily I don't fill up more then once every 2 months (if normal month). We then stopped for lunch at Taco Bell (my favorite place) and back home.  Frank came over with my birthday present, a guitar stand. I'm so happy to have it, I'm always afraid of the guitar falling over. 
About 5:30 we headed for Red Lobster. There were very few people there so no waiting. I had clam chowder, broccoli, baked potato and a 1 1/2 lb lobster. I'm continuing the countdown so this is year 24.  I seldom ever get a drink when we go out, but they had Bahama Mama and I had to have one. 
                                                    I love how they inserted the lemons into the claws. 

The meal was great and the lobster was perfectly steamed. I've had a few years where it's been real rubbery and not eatable.  The rest of the evening we watched the storm chasers in Nebraska. 

Sis left Wednesday morning before noon to get home before possible storms.  I got a few things done and now back to normal. 

Thursday, I volunteered at Hospice. They keep giving me more to do and I stay till it's totally done. Lots of copies making manuals, and sending out letters to people. I love the work, and have a good time doing it. About noon four of us went out for lunch to celebrate my birthday. We went to Red Lobster so I got fish and shrimp, my second favorite foods next to lobster. We got to know each other and talked about our families. I went back with them to finish up the work.  When I got home I sat outside on the patio. It's perfect weather. 

This ends another week. It has gone by really fast and I'm thankful I got though another special day without my partner. 

I've been watching more storm chasers on Youtube. It's amazing how many storms look like they're going to produce tornadoes but then die out which is a good thing. I've learned to be aware but not scared of them. This isn't a storm, but a pretty sunset on Wednesday night. 

2 comments:

owensontheroad said...

So glad you had a nice birthday!

Debbie V. said...

I've rediscovered your blog and really having fun following your adventures. Thanks for sharing.
I realized after a few posts that you are in Shiloh. My Woods family (mom's side) came out of that area. My particular branch migrated farther south to Franklin County.
I jealous of how active you are. I just turned 71 and having trouble doing the things I need and want to do.

St. Patrick's Day - Council Meeting - Concert

 Shalimar, FL   (Hi  63  Lo 47)    I'VE BEEN ASKED THAT THE FONT IT TOO SMALL. JUST DO A CONTROL +  AND IT WILL ENLARGE. CONTROL   -(min...