Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Weight Loss - Potluck Dinner

(Wauchula, FL) - Hi 83 Lo 63 --  It was cloudy but already in the 60's when we got up this morning.  Jim had a dentist appointment for a cleaning so he left before I had my first cup of coffee.  I read blogs and emails then went for a walk around the park to see how many more have arrived in the last few days.  There's still quite a few empty spaces, so I asked around and was told there's still some folks up north that can't get out because of snow.  I weighed today and was excited that I lost 20 pounds in five months, with only 10 pounds to go for my goal.  I walk a few days a week and have cut down a lot on sweets and anything made with white flour. I've also cut down on potatoes, and I'm trying to give them up altogether. I'm very proud of how far I've come.

I talked to one couple that escaped the floods in the Panama area.  They went on a 13-day cruise and their ship was the first one allowed through the Panama Canal since the floods closed it down. I talked with them a long time about their travels.  That's another fun part of RV'ing, hearing about the travels of others.

I went to the clubhouse to check on the puzzle some of us were working on before we left for Tampa, but it had been done and another one was almost done.  I have to get over there more often to put them together. Jim came back from his dental appointment and brought lunch, then it was time for shuffleboard.  I stayed busy today since it was such a nice warm day. I didn't want to stay in the RV.  Now that it's warmer the stink bugs we brought back from Pennsylvania are showing up again.  I'm worried that they've multiplied and we'll never get rid of them.  We see one or two a day fly around.  Fortunately they're very slow and easy to catch.

We went to our first potluck dinner at the clubhouse tonight. This one was a little different.  The tables were set up in a big square.  After you choose your seats you set your dish in front of you.  Then everyone stands up at the same time and starts moving around the tables to fill their plates from all the dishes.  The desserts go on a separate table in the middle of the square.  We've learned to take one spoonful of each item.  It's great food and we get to know the people around us.



The music group that plays on Thursday nights had a practice outside in the back of the park.

The park is coming alive. It's neat seeing all the bikes, golf carts, and people walking all day long when the temperatures are warmer.  It was a fun day today here in paradise.

9 comments:

Gail Houle said...

I think it's great about your weight loss...good for you!!!
I know you've mentioned them before, but what the heck are stink bugs? And how do we avoid them? Just their name sounds awful!

owensontheroad said...

Good for you, Dee! It must be hard to lose weight going to potlucks at the RV parks. They're my downfall!

Carol Kerr said...

That's great news Dee! Enjoy all the new neighbors...

Jeff said...

Dee, Congrats on the weight loss--especially since you are fulltiming. The temptation to eat out more is always there for me on the road. That is one thing I enjoy about rving-traveling and sampling the local cuisines.

Liz said...

Hi. They say the bed bugs are the worst in the states you traveled to. Better to have stink bugs. There are always some stink bugs in the garden in NC but I never saw that many. Better to have stink bugs.

Joe and Nancy Conrad said...

Congratulations on your weight loss, you should be very proud of yourself. Twenty pounds is such an accomplishment especially during the the holidays.
I want to know about stink bugs too!

Margie and Roger said...

That's terrific about your weight loss! We all know how difficult that is. I enjoyed reading about how your potluck works. We have ours in long tables and numbers are drawn to see which table goes to the food line first and who goes to the dessert table first. Guess you are really enjoying this great weather in Central Florida.

RV Khronicles of Kevelyn said...

Great job on the weight loss. I'm fighting that last 10 pounds myself, but it's not working out so well. These fulltimers sure like to eat!

It sounds like you're at a fun park!

KarenInTheWoods said...

Looks like you guys are having fun! And congrats on the weight loss, that is hard to do with all that wonderful potluck food!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

Visitor - Residential Counsel - Grandson Graduation

 Shalimar, FL   (Hi  76   Lo  69) Monday I went to my first class for yoga. I didn't realize it's all from youtube. I thought someon...