Friday, August 25, 2023

VFW Breakfast - Senior Appreciation - Therapy - Visitors

 Shalimar, FL  (Hi 99  Lo  79)  No rain Index between 105 and 112 

This was a busy week! I love it, everyday is a little different and the heat isn't bothering me at all. 

Sunday: I did something totally different. I went to the VFW for breakfast with a few of the gals. I was so hungry for waffles and they didn't let me down. It was really good. We had a good visit while eating and got back before it got too hot. I had chimes practice in the afternoon getting ready for next months concert at the Hawthorn House, here on campus. We play monthly. 

 Monday: The senior appreciation day was lunch with the performer  Bobby D, local guy at the VFW and a few other places. They grilled hamburgers and hot dogs with sides of potato salad and potato chips, and a big chocolate chip cookie. I don't eat red meat, so I had the potato salad, chips and cookie. Junk food, yeah, it doesn't get any better then that for a lunch.  Bobby D was excellent and we're hoping to get him again. He plays guitar and sings the "early songs" suited for our age groups. Big turnout for lunch.   Bobby D

                                    




When that was over I went to dementia class. These classes are so good, not for what we can learn about ourselves but what to see in others around us and how to react.  I have so much info and if anyone reading would like to know too, just go to youtube.com and look up Teepa Snow dementia.  You'll get the same info and there's a lot of videos with her teaching groups of people. Later in the evening I played cards then was on the GBM zoom group. 

Tuesday: Started at 10:00 for the second part of crafts which was working more on the diamond painting with the beads. I still want to know who thought anyone would want to put tiny little beads in a tiny little square and make a picture? We're now going to meet every Tuesday at 10:00 to work on the pictures. 


After I went home for a bite to eat, I went back for the meditation class. We have a wonderful group and we learn to relax and take things in stride. I've been working on that since Jim died but every time I go I get better at settling down.  I love the energy of the group. It's my favorite thing to do during the week. The leader has a topic every week and we work on it. Later in the evening was playing cards and sitting outside. 

Wednesday:  I'm starting therapy at the very early stages of loss of balance and less strength in the knees. The rehab gal, Kelly, came for full evaluation to see just where I need the most help. I want to prevent falls, I'm tall and it's a long way to the floor if I go down. There's been several falls this week and the gals end up in the hospital. I start the actual rehab work next week. In the afternoon I had an appointment for massage and chiropractor. Every month I have trouble turning my neck (arthritis) and both sessions I can walk out and feel so much better for a few days. Starting next month I'm going for twice a month for awhile to get more relief on the neck and hips. Just another precaution for future. In the evening I have classes for "triggers from grief". It's really a great class that's been helping coping of being alone. Then cards and outside visiting. 

This is the temperature in the car when I went to the appointment. 

Thursday:   I got a call from an RV'er that was coming to take a tour of the place. I showed her my apartment and then thru the complex. Kathy was with her daughter, Cindy,  and getting a tour also at the Hawthorn House on Friday. We had a great visit, talking about our rv'ing days.  Dee and Kathy

                                            Dee, Kathy, Cindy  Someday I'll get perfect selfies. 
We had a birthday party for Rosie at 4:00, one of our village gals. It was great with pizza, wings, cake and chocolate chip cookie.  I have to say, the wine was good too. This is Rosie.
              This is double decker cookie with frosting in the middle with lots of chocolate chips. 

We sat outside when it cooled down. We're usually home by 8 or 8:30 so I'm still on the chat that was started in 2007 with the RV'ers. I hope that never ends. 

Friday:  Kathy and Cindy came back after their tour and talked about future plans. I'll see them again on Monday for lunch. When they left I played darts. I'm getting pretty good at it. I can usually get the number I need for a final  score. The more I play the better it is, oh, guess that's the whole idea. I really love darts and I'm glad I have a great competitor.  

Saturday:  The plans are always in pencil, but all that's going on is Happy hour in our village lounge. I have a zoom video to watch and a couple gals coming over, but I like getting the blog out on Saturday mornings. This next week starts the WII bowling and I'm on two teams. The calendar is full and I'm loving every minute. Thank you for reading. I'll try to keep it interesting, but if you want to know what retired people can do, I try to tell ya. 

No comments:

Quick Trip - Memories of Jim - Son's Birthday - Sports

Aurora, IL  (Hi 60  Lo  48) Saturday  to (Hi 88 to Lo 51) Shalimar, FL  (Hi  77 Lo 70) Rick, our youngest son surprised me with airline tick...