Saturday, June 10, 2023

Trip 2 - Birthday Week

 Shalimar, FL (Hi 85  Lo 71)    Week in Illinois (Hi 80  Lo 50)

Hang on to your hats, this is going to be a fun filled blog. My birthday was June 7, and I took notes everyday so I wouldn't forget anything. I also took a lot of pictures. My kind of blog. 

Friday: Day 1, June 2

I hate getting up really early and get to the airport and this was even more important because I needed a neighbor to take me so I made the flight later in the morning. It was a bumpy start but leveled off at the cruising altitude. The views were great because there were NO clouds. That hasn't happened in flights in a very long time. (Click on the photos to enlarge).  The fields aren't planted yet so you can see the plots of fields really well. 



I never thought to watch the flights on where we are, but tried the phone in google maps. It's very interesting to see where we are from above. It's only an hour and 40 minutes to Illinois and when we came back it was an hour and 12 minutes. That beats the driving of two days. I'll fly as much as I can. 

I went to friend Ruth's house first to wait for Frank to pick me up. We got to visit and make plans for her visit to me. 
Saturday: Day Two: June 3
I was with Frank and Angie and they wanted to go to the Horseradish festival in Collinsville. It's a street blocked off and they sell horseradish all over the world. I bought three types. I love the sauces.
                        It's also the route 66 road going through Collinsville and I love this sign.  
                                            Sherry, Angie, Frank walking down thru the vendors. 
                                            Vendors, brats, horseradish, even a card reader and CBD. 
                                            There's also several clothing stands with long dresses.
                                        Frank, Angie and Kendall (home for summer from college) Dee
                                            We went to Los Amigos for dinner which was excellent. 
                                                I grabbed a photo of Kendall. 
Sunday: Day Three, June 4, The NASCAR RACE
This was the main reason I was in Illinois for my birthday. Frank and I went last year to the inaugural NASCAR race, so we wanted to go this year. We planned it way before we knew I was moving to Florida. Now we're going to make it a ritual as long as I can travel.  Last year we drove to the track and it was a lot of walking. This year we decided to take the bus and it ended up being even further to walk. They took us to a field then took a tram to the fourth turn area of the track. I actually walked 9200 steps. I'm glad I've been doing a lot of walking at the village where I live. The race wasn't very fun, but the before and after was great. We did have a lightening stoppage for over an hour but NO rain. We got to the track about 11am and left 10:45 pm. Long day!  Frank had to work on Monday so he had to get to bed as soon as we got back to his place.  Here's some pictures of the day. NOTES: Section 30, Row 18, Seats 13-14. 
















                                            Kyle Busch won the race and we were in the right spot for a burnout. 

                                If you climb up to the top, 50 rows, there's a great view of the city. 

Monday: Day 4  June 5
I went to my sister, Doris for the rest of the week. I rented a Nissan Altima which I would never buy, but it got me there and back. I had to wait two hours to get it. There were several people waiting for cars. The management of car rentals needs to be improved, if you have a reservation, you should have it when scheduled. Ok, off the soap box. 

I had a great relaxing day with sis, she's an hour and half from my son, I've made the trip many times. The traffic was good so no hold up. We visited a neighbor that does quilting so stayed with her a few hours. 
                                    She's doing a quilt with tiny little pieces to make up houses, Amazing
Sandy had a clipper that I needed for a haircut and she did it for me. I love it. I'm back to short hair for the summer and it makes a big difference. I have one I used on Jim, so  I'll do it myself. 
Sis is very good at making mom's graham cracker pudding, so she taught me how to do it. I'm hoping I can remember all the steps when I get home. I think the gals where I live will love it. 
Tuesday: Day 5  June 6
Every year for many years we've gone to Hannibal. It's a cute little town to the west of sister and it's the home of Mark Twain. It's become quiet over the years and sometimes the stores are no longer open during the week, but the ones that are seem to thrive. We took Sandy with us and stopped in the quilting store. There's a general store with lots of the old fashion candy, even that was a lot less this year. They also have great jelly's and sauces. We loved to eat sandwiches at a restaurant but it was closed so we ended up at a bar and grill which had great sandwiches. One waitress, we felt bad for her trying to keep up since everything else in town was closed. 
When we got back home we grilled and sat outside in Doris's new area to eat on patio. 
                                                        Doris and Dee

Wednesday: Day 6, June 7 ....... 75th HAPPY BIRTHDAY SURPRISE
We had planned a quiet day except for the lobster dinner which was about an hour away. I was playing games on the computer and someone came to the door but I didn't even look up. When the gentleman came in front of me it was my son Rick in from Chicago. They planned the surprise and I never caught on. WOW was that a shock. I got to see both boys on this trip. I was so elated I couldn't say anything.  He stayed with us all night and we had the best lobster dinner. A story about that, the first lobster was all pink and tasted like rubber, I wasn't about to get sick and it was nasty looking so I talked to the manager about it and we decided on two lobster tails, which were very good. This is year 30 for lobster on my birthday. I hope to continue it. It's fun not knowing where I'll be on my birthday and where the lobster will be. This one was from Red Lobster in Chesterfield, MO. 
                                                            Rick and Dee
                                                 Rick, Dee, and Doris
                                                One of those was dinner
                                                                Lobster dinner, Dee

We had a wonderful visit all evening. What a great birthday surprise!


Thursday: Day 7, June 8
We went to breakfast in town and then Rick left for home.
 It's a five hour drive for him so he wanted to get going. Thank you so much for making the trip for my birthday. 
Doris and I headed to the bird store. She was looking for a bench and I was looking for a flying bird, We both found what we wanted. I had them ship mine so I didn't have to take it on the plane. 
                                            The bench matches the front of the house pretty well. 
Friday: Day 8, June 9
Time to go home. I was hoping the traffic going into St. Louis would be ok without accidents. It's quite busy in the mornings so when I scheduled the flight home I made it later in the morning around noon. I made it to the airport including getting gas in plenty of time. I put the keys in a box and did the phone online paperwork for returning (which makes it nice) and was signed in two hours before flight. The airport is tiny and they don't have anything setup to eat, yet. They're working on expanding and there were workers all over the place. I love that airport, as long as Alligiant keeps it going. Sometimes they cancel flights for no reason. The first flight to Illinois was packed with college students, the one back was totally sold out and mostly little babies and families. 

When I got home I had another present. My back door has been replaced and it's a huge difference. I can now see out better. 

Here's a few pictures of what we spent our time on if not shopping or eating. 
                                        Sitting by the lake, also feeding the fish.
                                          Sis lives in the country with lots of birds and squirrels   

Doris, Herm and Carley


Rick did a 1/2 marathon after a night at the concert which was standing only. CONGRATS Rick that's quite an accomplishment. 
It was a wonderful week. Now I'm back to normal living and it's still going to be a busy week coming up. Thanks for reading. 

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

What a cool tradition of Lobster each birthday. Once when in Maine I ordered Lobster. Just because I thought I should. So the entire meal I envied the prime rib Leonard was eating.

My first-time flying was in 1980. Philadelphia to St. Louis. It that the same airport?

owensontheroad said...

What a nice surprise for you! You are looking great, Dee!

Easy Going Week - Birthday Party - Tornado Outbreak

 Sharlimar, FL   (Hi 78 Lo 66) It was a normal quieter week than last week. The normal schedule was Wii bowling Monday and Wednesday morning...