Friday, July 15, 2022

Comparisons of Areas in Florida - Flying - Back Home

 Shiloh, IL (Hi  96  Lo 74)

I'd like to do a comparison of the different areas of Florida from my viewpoint. I've lived in Florida more then anywhere else. I married in West Palm Beach in 1970. We lived there a few years before going into the military. One of our bases ended up at Patrick AFB, Melbourne beach, FL. East coast was great. On the base we were right off the ocean and could hear the waves. After Jim retired from the AF, we lived in an RV for six years and every winter we stayed in Avon Park, central Florida. When we settled and sold the RV, we  had been to all 48 states and both of us are at home in Florida, so we found a home in Auburndale, Fla which is near Lakeland. The center from both west and east coast which we dearly loved. The last few days, I spent in west side in Cape Coral. I have to say, I'm loving the west side. The temperature is about the same as everywhere I've been in Florida and so is the humidity, BUT there's more of a breeze in the west off the gulf then there is on the ocean side. It was everyday, not just some of the time. The houses are more cement and not mobile homes. (due to hurricanes, possibility).  One other reason for cement buildings, less maintenance from termites. The beaches are a lot different, the east coast is broken shells, the west is sand and easier on the feet, whiter too.  I'm not sure about living full time there again, but I will be back as often as I can.  

In Cape Coral, Roberta and I didn't do a lot. It was hot and we stayed in the patio with the ceiling fan. We watched the cat and dog and just was lazy. We talked about my future and what has happened to both of us bringing us together. We had a wonderful time and I want to thank her for the wonderful fun days. 

Story: Roberta lost her hubby with same brain cancer as my hubby, GBM (Glioblastoma brain cancer) Doctors and everyone else says it's rare, more and more people are being diagnosed with it and there's NO cure. I found her online one night when Jim was having a bad night. She helped me through it and we've been friends ever since. She has a zoom for the widows on Monday nights and also has started an organization to help the families dealing with GBM.  (click on the link)

We spent the time in the pool on Tuesday afternoon. It felt so good, it's been a long time since I've been in a pool.   

The dog is a Pyrenees and 12 years old. He's the most loveable dog I've ever met. He can barely walk, but when you talk to him it feels like he really knows what you're saying. The cat is a feral and very squeamish but a lot of fun. It didn't take long I was able to pet her and she even sat on my lap.

                                     

Bo was trying to read the computer, wonder if he really understood it. 
She's really tall, this give more of a perspective of how big she is. 
Wednesday night we went to the Eagles Club where I met a few of Roberta's friends. We had our dinner there and had a drink while a storm passed over then went back to the house. The full moon was gorgeous with the cloud cover. 
    Thursday morning I left for home. This is a few views of the flight. I love the formations of clouds looking down on them. 
                                                This is the Punta Gorda Airport, FL



                                        I'm not sure if this is Missouri, Mississippi, and Illinois River or?

                                            Almost ready to land near Scott AFB, IL
I was on Allegiant airlines. It takes off from Scott AFB (MidAmerica, IL) and a straight two hour flight to Punta Gorda, FL. When I left  I took off my shoes, the PC had to be in it's own box, and I got searched again. (I had metal buttons on my blouse). I also had to have the boarding pass and it was scanned along with my ID. It was about 10 minutes for the whole procedure. On the return to home. All they took was the ID, then took off the shoes, PC etc I didn't get searched, but didn't even ask for the boarding pass till we were actually going on the plane. I would think it would be same procedures both ways. Nope. It wasn't a whole lot different, but thought that unusual. 

My grandson picked me up at the airport. When I got to the apartment, I changed clothes got groceries, put them away then unpacked and settled in for the evening. It feels good to be home, but sure miss Florida. I don't have the dry skin that I do here in Illinois. Next trip is in August for about 12 days or more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad that you found a dear friend and able to spend the time together. We have a great friend in common.... Darlene. We were together in PA last weekend. She speaks fondly of you

Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Love the Cape Coral area !

owensontheroad said...

So nice to have found someone who understands what you went through, and vice versa. Looks like you had a great time! We signed up for the Clear program as well as Global Entry since we are going to Mexico 2-3 times per year. It makes it so much easier! Our credit card gave us credits for both programs.

Debbie V. said...

I really enjoyed reading your comparisons of living in Florida and your travel memories as well.
We lived in Pensacola for 5 years due to a work situation and I enjoyed it there a lot. Beautiful beaches and historic places.
We ended up going back to California and now have been in Indiana near Louisville, KY for about 17 years. It's very peaceful here.
My adult daughter and I travel to Walt Disney World about every 2 or 3 years. It's a great bonding experience.

Kris said...

Glad you had such a nice trip. Your friend sounds really nice. Hugs

Indian Flute Festival - Cinco de Mayo

 Shalimar, FL   (Hi   78   Lo  71) Sunday I went with Lois and Debbie to the Native American Musical Echoes Flute Festival. It was windy and...