Saturday, January 29, 2022

Taxes - Zoom - Alton

Shiloh, IL  (Hi  25   Lo  8)

The beginning of the week I decided to start working on the taxes. I thought I had everything so got hold of the community center which told me about AARP that does free taxes for seniors. I had a certain time to pick up a packet and have to take it back next week. When I was going thru the 1099's I  found two missing. I found Turbo Tax and all the amounts Jim put  into 2020 which is really nice. Now I'm waiting on the missing 1099's then I'll take everything to AARP. 

I'm still on zoom and we've added about 12 more women. Glioblastoma (brain cancer) is supposed to be rare but it's happening more and more to men. There's a few women but mostly  men of all ages seem to be getting this cancer. A few of the gals are getting together in February in Florida and another group meeting in Wisconsin in June. We have all ages and we're having a great time getting to know each other. 

Wednesday I went with my friend to Alton. The River Road is really neat and you go along the Mississippi river which is now frozen. We were looking for Eagles but none were around. We found a museum telling about the area and the three rivers that come together in the area, the Mississippi, the Missouri and the Illinois. In 1993 they had a flood that wiped out a lot of the area. Most of the area has rebuilt but there's still areas that never rebuilt. 

The flood of June-July 1844 crested at 41.32 feet in St Louis. The most destructive flood in U. S. history, the Mississippi River flood of 1927 inundated 27,000 squares miles including parts of Dunklin, New Madrid, Mississippi, and Pemiscot counties.

This is a few pictures in the museum. It's small but very informative. Click on the pictures to enlarge. 
                                        A few fish in the rivers. 
                                            Ruth checking out one of the exhibits. 
                                The cliffs around this area is limestone and they're very pretty. 
                                            The Mississippi River which is all ice. 
There's 29 locks from Minnesota to New Orleans along the Mississippi. This is the view of the locks in Alton, IL. 
                                                    The bridge to the locks and dam. 
In October there was a tornado that touched down near Edwardsville. We passed the Amazon warehouse on the way to Alton. (Click photo to enlarge). 
We're still not getting much snow but had two days with one inch. It has been cold though with highs in the 20's and low 5 degrees. 
I'm staying busy and doing ok. I'm staying warm and don't get out unless I have to like going to post office or pick up groceries. I'm still binge watching Grey's Anatomy which is entertaining. 
.  

3 comments:

Jim and Sandie said...

Love to read your updates. I'm glad you have a support group but it makes me sad you have so many members. Stupid cancer. I'm sure hoping Jim's radiation worked on his lung cancer. Hopefully we find out next week. The Mighty Miss looks so cold. Stay warm and safe.

Justin said...

I 1927 a large portion of Arkansas was under water (the flat parts).

Justin said...

In 1927 a large portion (the flat parts) of Arkansas were flooded.

St. Patrick's Day - Council Meeting - Concert

 Shalimar, FL   (Hi  63  Lo 47)    I'VE BEEN ASKED THAT THE FONT IT TOO SMALL. JUST DO A CONTROL +  AND IT WILL ENLARGE. CONTROL   -(min...