Thursday, July 9, 2015

Rainy Travel to Indiana

(Warsaw, IN) Hi 73  Lo 62 -- Tuesday was one of the worst travel days we've experienced in our 6 years on the road. It rained almost the whole way from Scott AFB, IL to Indianapolis, IN. Sometimes it rained so hard that the only thing I could see was the back windows of the RV. There was a lot of truck traffic on I-70, and one semi blew a tire just as he was passing me. The tire exploded with a bang, and a piece of the tire came flying out and just missed me. Talk about waking me up, wow! It was quite stressful for both of us, but especially Jim. I even felt myself hyrdroplaning a few times. We arrived at Lake Haven Resort on the south side of Indianapolis and had to do our un-hitching routine in the pouring rain. There were flash flood warnings all over central Indiana, and a few sites in the park were flooding up to the RV doors. Fortunately we were assigned a pull through site on higher ground. Needless to say, we were both frazzled at the end of the day. I took a few photos of the park once the rain slacked off. (Click on the pictures to enlarge them.)
















Small fishing lake (catch and release)















The office















It didn't rain much on Wednesday, but it was cloudy and gloomy all day so we stayed in and caught up on some recorded TV shows. 

Thursday we headed to my old home town Warsaw, IN. It was a very uneventful (and dry) trip of only 130 miles. I was born in Warsaw and left when I was 18. (I went to Florida where I met and married Jim.) We're in Pike Lake Campground, a city operated park right on Pike Lake, one of three pretty lakes in Warsaw. Our family had many swimming outings at Pike Lake when I was a kid. We'll be here for about a week, and I'll be checking out what's still here and what's changed in the area. Here's some views of the park from our RV. 














Our site is a 30-amp full service pull through.


 

I've had some downtime lately so I decided to crochet another critter. This is a Yorkie Terrier.

























See you in a few days. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jim and Dee,

Sorry that you had such bad weather in Indiana. My wife and I are headed to Lake Haven resort also next week. Too bad it wasn't at the same time as I would have liked to meet you two. I have been reading your blog for a couple of years now. Another time and place. Happy and safe travels. Rick and Jenn

Along the Way with JnK said...

That sure does make for a very adventurous travel day...so glad you guys are safe...now staying dry will be another issue just hope no flooding happens during your stay!

Eclipse - Storms - Volunteer Dinner - Taxes Painted Patio

 Shalimar, FL  (Hi  78   Lo 54)   Monday and Tuesday were the same as normal with Wii bowling, cards, and GBM zoom, diamond art and meditati...