Friday, December 17, 2021

Aftermath of Tornados - Mystery Boxes - Dryer Parts

 Shiloh, IL  (Hi 39  Lo  36)

I think I'm ready for the new year. The income is all set, still have problems with a few charge cards. One that I used for gas was compromised so it was shut down and I just received the new one. Please watch your statements online if possible for any possible fraud charges every time you get gas. It's becoming more and more of a problem at gas stations. I'm hoping 2022 is a lot better. I need to get thru the holidays and focus on the new year. 

Most of the week was getting reports on the tornadoes in Mayfield, Kentucky and Edwardsville near me at the Amazon distribution center. It's a little unusual getting such severe storms in December. I need to get a referee whistle in case we have a tornado here and I'm stuck under the two stories above me. 

I received a box the beginning of the week with no return name or anything on the inside that had a name. I wasn't sure who sent it, and to top it off no apartment number so I wasn't sure if it was mine. A couple days later the same thing happened. The office was puzzled because the name wasn't mine (as they know it) and only the last name. Luckily, they called me and said we think we have a box for you. I figured it out later and asked the person who I "thought" sent it if it was her. Thank you Shelly, what a great surprise.

My dryer hasn't worked since I got here in June. It starts, but stops after seven minutes. I have to start it in 10 minutes or it will do the cycle again. If I don't remember it at all the timer goes down and I have to start all over again. The maintenance crew is waiting for a part that's stuck somewhere on a barge. It's fine, it works most of the time, but if not I hang clothes all over the apartment which helps put in humidity. It's really dry here compared to Florida. I have alligator skin it's so dry. 

I have all the orders done for Christmas for my crocheting. I did it!  I still have a couple more to do, but they're not wanting them till January so I spent some time cleaning up and organizing which I haven't done since September. I'm ready for Christmas. 

A funny happened the other night. I ate late so wanted a piece of baked chicken. I put it in the new toaster oven with the timer on and when I heard it ding I went to get it but it was raw. I forgot to plug it in, so it ended up in the microwave for a couple minutes. Ok laugh, I did. 

I didn't get pictures this week because I didn't do much but crochet. I do have to say what I'm learning to do on my own. I have trouble opening cans. My wine bottles with the corks are getting harder, not sure why. Are they making them different or am I getting that weak. I miss just handing things over to Jim to open. I'm in a couple zooms a week with the widows of GBM (Glioblastoma brain cancer). We're all feeling the same way and it's good to talk it out. Thank you to all that's giving me support.  I have good days and bad, it's 14 1/2 weeks. I just want to get through next weekend. 

I'm going to have a busy day tomorrow (Saturday) but will post next week. Stay tuned. 

In case you don't read the blog next week. MERRY CHRISTMAS!  I wish everyone a great day and remember why it's Christmas. 

3 comments:

owensontheroad said...

Merry Christmas, Dee. First year is the worst. Hugs to you.

Phyllis said...

I find my hands have little strength in them and opening ANYTHING is a chore. I found a great bottle opener on Amazon. Fits 5 different sizes.

Hoping you adjusted well to the cooler weather by now.

Nancy and Bill said...

Merry Christmas!!!

You are doing amazingly well...love how honest you are. This is tough, but you will make it through!!!

Hugs and Love.......

Electronics Assistants - Birthday Party - Sing-a-long

  Shalimar, FL    (Hi   80  Lo  65) Sunday was so much fun and a learning experience. About 15 school kids came in to help residents with ce...