Friday, October 1, 2021

Wrap up on Garage Sale - Sister Arrived - Celebration of Life - Paperwork

 Shiloh, IL  (Hi 85  Lo 62)

The garage sale wasn't as good as I had hoped, but we didn't have signs made up for the roads only advertised thru Facebook Marketplace and Next Door. At the end of the day we packed it all up and took it to Goodwill. It's closer and we had to hurry to clear the garage for family coming in for the Monday celebration of Life for Jim. 

Sunday: My sister came to support me for the next two days. We went to our son's for dinner as the family, Robin, Sharon and Johnny came from North Carolina. Our son Rick and grandson, Jack with girlfriend Tammy from Chicago.  It was great all came at same time. It was fun watching people coming together on the Google maps location sharing. (Click on pictures to enlarge). 

                                                Johnny, Robin and Sharon

We had a great time visiting. The younger ones played a "baseball" game of sorts with a whiffle ball . It was so funny to watch them. 


We sat around talking and having some laughs and eating. 






Monday: The celebration of life for Jim was from 10:30 to 12:30 for visitation then the service. It was a great service. Frank and Kendall gave a talk on Jim's life and it was perfect. Lots of emotion from everyone. The boys did a super job in getting it together. The room was setup perfect. There were at least 50 in the room. 












After the service the family had lunch in the lounge. The guests left and the rest of us went in a procession behind the Hearst to Jefferson Barracks in Missouri. It took about 30 minutes to get there. We lined up then went to the shelter for the burial service and taps. The flag was given to me along with the shells from the 21 gun salute. I also received a plaque and military certificate. The guards were retired and all on motorcycles. It was outstanding.  I wish I took more pictures, but I just wasn't up to it.  






                                                                The procession. 
We went back to Frank's and had a great dinner that was provided by Holly's parents. The North Carolina family headed home to drive all night. They had 11 hour trip ahead of them.  The rest of us called it a night and went our separate ways. 

Tuesday: My sis and I got up at 5am. She went back home and I went with Frank to Campbellsville, KY to take Kendall back to college. It's a five hour trip one way. He showed me the campus and we ate at a restaurant that had excellent food then  we headed back home. We arrived 5:30pm. It was a very long day, but a pretty drive in the foothills of KY. I crashed when I got home. 

Wednesday:  I started out on the phone to get accounts cancelled at 10am. I was done with the first round at 2:00pm. It took forever to get people to answer the phone and maneuver around the automated systems. I had called the dental place last week and had not heard from them with cards or paperwork to start my own dental service. I had to get something to prove I had insurance for my appointment next week. It took over and hour to get it in place, and hopefully they have it started.  I have to call back to see how I can get proof for the appointment. I'm back to crocheting in the afternoon. 

Friday:  I checked the bank statement to be sure payment was there and found a credit from the military had taken out two months pay. I called the military base right away to tell them to check into it. One month was taken out by mistake so in five days I should get that back. There's always something to check and get on the phone.  

On the lighter side of things. I made a gum chain dress in 1962 to 1970. It took a long time and my granddaughter in law, Holly,  is he size I was when I made it. I have now turned it over to her. 
I went to my sisters for the weekend. She's going to Florida this month so I  wanted one more time with her. It's suppose to rain, but I'm sure I'll find something to get into while we visit on our last time for the summer. 

3 comments:

Phyllis said...

So good you have such family support. Hang in there girl.

One question. What in the world is a gum chain??

Phyllis said...

So good you have such family support. Hang in there girl.

One question. What in the world is a gum chain??

Mark from Missouri said...

Dee, do you recall off the top of your head the row or portion of Jefferson Barracks Jim was laid to rest in? Next time we go through St. Louis we might stop and pay our respects.

Good to see the military at the funeral! It was nice to see you spending as much time with family as you have. Someday, when you are looking for a blog topic, let us know how it has been transitioning to living in an apartment environment.

God Bless you,

Mark from Missouri

Eclipse - Storms - Volunteer Dinner - Taxes Painted Patio

 Shalimar, FL  (Hi  78   Lo 54)   Monday and Tuesday were the same as normal with Wii bowling, cards, and GBM zoom, diamond art and meditati...