Friday, August 13, 2021

Met New Doctor - MRI Results - Hospice Delivers - Visit from Sis and Hubby -Florida House Sold

 Shiloh, IL  (Hi 85  Lo 65)

This was a busy week with lots of updates. In case you haven't been following  our blog, my hubby, Jim, has Glioblastoma stage 4 cancer. I'm writing in detail for those that have the same cancer what we're going thru. 

On Monday I had my own physical. I'm pre-diabetic and wanted to get my A1C checked. I also need blood work done for other things. I passed the diabetic but not so good on the cholesterol, she told me not to eat fatty food or fast food. She didn't say anything about bags of potato chips which right now is my comfort food. Bummer, I'll do better once this nightmare is over. I don't go back for six months, so that's all done. 

Tuesday was the MRI. I didn't have to go to St. Louis to Barnes but had it done right here in town at the hospital. It took almost an hour to get Jim in to the car and wheelchair and find where the MRI was located. We made it on time and after 40 minutes it was all over. We stopped for big Hardee's burger for him and I had chicken. We don't get out much, so that was something special for both of us. He slept the rest of the day. 

Wednesday was a very long day waiting for the MRI results. We had one more OT come out to close out the therapy. Late afternoon the oncologist called.  He was in a quiet mood and told us the tumor had almost doubled in size. I did a recording of the conversation to be sure I heard right. Jim has weeks. The radiation and chemo didn't do anything to decrease the size.  The oncologist usually tries to talk you into doing trials, experiments of sorts, this one didn't even bring it up. I had a couple questions on what we're in for and asked him to call hospice. When he hung up from me that's what he did because hospice called just minutes later. He also said it's a bad one. The size of the tumor was 2.3cm,on May 25,  now it's 3.5cm

Thursday hospice nurse and social worker came in to explain what we get, what we need to do and what will happen in the next few weeks. By evening, I had gloves, pull ups, bed pads, a hospital bed, oxygen and a generator for the oxygen. I'm set. The meds will come to the door and tomorrow we'll get assigned people for showers, chaplain, social worker and nurse. I can now call anytime with questions and help if needed. I'm not alone in calling for assistance with medical problems. Our son is also on call, but I'm not pulling him from family things and work. (Click on the pictures to enlarge).  

Our bedroom setup. 

Jim watching the baseball game in his favorite chair. He's looking good and eating well. Just can't talk or use his right side hand and leg. 
Every morning he seems to be having more problems with the right side, especially the right leg. Sometimes he can't use the walker so using a wheelchair to transport to the living room. 

My sister and hubby, Doris and Herm, came for a visit Friday afternoon. Doris helped with rearranging the bedroom with the hospital bed. The nurse from hospice also came out and took vitals and see what else we may need. We're getting set schedules with everyone. It will be hectic till we get schedules settled. 

I keep forgetting to show something. The apartment complex has an Amazon HUB for all packages so no stealing. When you get an order it goes in a box (sizes are different) they send a code to your phone.  You put the code in a display screen and the box opens. It's really neat. 
The biggest news is the house closed today and the realtor has sent the check. I shut down the water and electric and now there's no more rent from there going out. I'm so happy. That's one more stress that's off of me.  My next big item to conquer, is the drivers license for Illinois (again). They have different rules when you're over 70. 

5 comments:

Phyllis said...

I look forward to knowing how you both are coping. It's good to know what you are facing and how best to proceed. Kudos to the doctor who appears to be a blessing.

Love the Amazon system..

owensontheroad said...

This is the worst part, the waiting, trying to keep Jim comfortable and you strong. Thinking and praying for both of you.

Shane said...

You will do fine with the drivers test you are one smart gal. Good luck.

Mark from Missouri said...

Hospice is going to help ease the workload, if it's at all possible, and his pain or worry. My wife worked there before retirement, but only in the office. In my job I met their workers often. Good people and a blessing.

The news from the doctor was not good and I thank you for sharing it. Our hope rest in knowing Christ and being with him someday. Many have faced the hardest challenges having nothing but hope.

You guys are in my thoughts each day. All us readers wish we could reach out and make things better.

LakeConroePenny,TX said...

Yup!! You never know what is around the next corner. I am so sorry that you two sweet folks are having this in your lives. Be thankful for the great memories you have, pray and trust God. Hugs.

Easy Going Week - Birthday Party - Tornado Outbreak

 Sharlimar, FL   (Hi 78 Lo 66) It was a normal quieter week than last week. The normal schedule was Wii bowling Monday and Wednesday morning...