Thursday, July 8, 2010

Last Day in Indy, Saying Goodbye (Cicero, IN)

We started out the day as every day, except I got out the lunch items for our guests later today.
Bob and Marian came over to see our home and have lunch with us.  Jim grilled burgers and hot dogs, and I prepared some sides.  It was a great visit and they loved our home.  Bob and Marian, it was so great spending time with you this week.  Please take care and we’ll see you the next time we come through this area.

We didn’t do anything else today.  Just a few hours after they left we had a storm come through.  We got things put away for our move tomorrow.

I’ve been asked what time zone we’ll be in when we’re in Indiana.  We will be in either Central or Eastern, depending on our location within the state.
tn
Most of Indiana is on Eastern time, except the areas in yellow, which are Central time. We’re currently on Eastern (Indianapolis area), will be in Central starting tomorrow (Roselawn, which is in the northwestern area), and will be back to Eastern in August when we move to the Elkhart area.. Whew!  Our cell phones and satellite TV box are getting confused!  For the record, we love Central time.  We can watch Jay Leno and still get to bed at a decent hour.  :)

I also wanted to do an update on why I take my car along with Jim’s truck.  I really do like driving behind Jim, and we've met a lot of folks who do the same thing.  I was surprised to see how many.  Jim filled up with diesel fuel April 30.  That was the last time he bought diesel until July 5.   In my car, we did several sightseeing trips, and filled up nine times.  The expense would have been a lot higher using the truck (higher price per gallon, and lower miles per gallon).  We went into areas that a dually truck would be difficult or impossible to get into.  We went geocaching in areas that would be hard to get to in the truck.   I know we have to pay for insurance and maintenance, but overall we think we're still coming out ahead.  Think carefully if you’re thinking of giving up a second small car with a fifth wheel.  It’s been working for us just fine.

We watched TV and caught up on blogs. We're on the go tomorrow morning, so will get to bed a little earlier.  It will be great getting back to central time.
 

6 comments:

Gypsy said...

I think what matters with driving your car along with the rig is whether it works well for you. We all spend money on things we could reduce or cut out, so insurance and maintenance costs could be comparable to eating out at restaurants often rather than cooking at home. It's comparable with something that another person might feel is absolutely necessary. I'm glad your are happy with the arrangement.

FD5, Retired said...

Same here Dee, will be glad when back on CST.

Stay Safe

Prettypics123 said...

Hi Dee,
We have a 5th wheel and I drive in my Matrix when we travel so that we have the same kind of freedoms as you mentioned. It is also convenient when John wants to go one way and I want to go the other. Makes for more fun for us both. The Camp Host Housewife

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

Hmmm....you know, I never even thought about driving Little Red behind the 5th wheel. I think it's brilliant! Live and learn I guess. I miss my little car SO MUCH!

Nellie

Jessica Riker said...

Hi Dee,

Do you miss riding together when one person is driving each vehicle? We have been planning to sell the car when we start full timing, not because of the money part, but because we feel like we would rather ride together when we're traveling.

Tumbleweed Dee said...

TO Jessica: We're together all the time and we have the Ham radio so we stay in touch. He has his music and I have mine. We're happier that way. Thanks for the question.

Indian Flute Festival - Cinco de Mayo

 Shalimar, FL   (Hi   78   Lo  71) Sunday I went with Lois and Debbie to the Native American Musical Echoes Flute Festival. It was windy and...