Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Little Car is GONE!

(Avon Park, FL) Hi  83 Lo 63 -- No, nothing bad has happened... my little car was traded today for a new (to us) car. After the movie yesterday we stopped by the local Toyota dealer - which happened to be just across the street from the movie theater. I wanted to see how much the Toyota RAV4 has changed since we bought ours in 1998. I drove a 2012 RAV4 and loved it. It's grown over the years! It felt so much roomier and more luxurious. The new one was a little out our price range, but there was a "certified" pre-owned 2010 RAV4 on the lot that was just as nice as a new one. The dealer is having a big weekend sale starting this morning, so after breakfast we went back to the dealer. The saleslady, Pat, met us in the parking lot. Jim was a car salesman at one point in his prior (working) life, so I left the negotiating up to him. It didn't take long; once Pat found out that Jim knew all the car sales lingo everything was pretty straightforward. They offered us enough for my treasured '98 and came down enough on the price of the 2010 car to get the "out the door" number within our budget range. So we all shook hands, I wrote a check, and within about two hour total we were on our way.

I loved my old RAV. There's nothing mechanically wrong with it. But is is 14 years old, the paint is shot on it, and the body is starting to fall apart. Also, it's terribly under-powered for mountain driving. I had a hard time keeping up with Jim in the Smokies, and it'll be worse when we get to the Rockies. I hope this one turns out to be as reliable as the old one. It drives so nice, it's much quieter and smoother... and faster! We're still trying to figure out what color it is. The official name is Pyrite Mica. It's kind of a brownish gray and matches the trim on our RV. What do you think?














The dealer removed the amateur (ham) and XM radios for us, and we're going back tomorrow to have them installed in the new car.

We got back home just in time for the Gatoraid Duel races from Daytona. (Jim was glad we made it home in time, but he had the races set to record just in case.)
I made some brownies, and it was so hot that we had to turn on the air conditioner.

The races were great, and they were a great prelude on what's coming up on Sunday in the Daytona 500. We'll both be in our chairs watching for sure.

It was a wonderful day!

16 comments:

A couple of newer paintings 2019 said...

Wow, congratulations! That was totally unexpected. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Love the colour!

Leno said...

Congrats Dee!! I love it, and can tell you are so happy~ Enjoy and good luck....

Gypsy said...

I love the new car. It's a Toyota, right? You'll get years of fine service from it.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Congratulations on the new car...it looks very nice. I'd say it's one of those colors that won't show the dirt very much so it doesn't really matter what it's called. :) Enjoy!!

Jeannie and Eldy said...

Congratulations! Enjoy the ride and travel safe!

Elaine said...

wow you guys had a large day ...congrats on the new car..you will enjoy rolling down the road behind the carriage in that I'm sure...love the color we had a truck that color and it never showed the dirt....way to go!!!

Gail Houle said...

Congratulations! I'm sure you're very excited. Love the color.

KarenInTheWoods said...

ohhh good for you! does it have that "new car smell" ?????

TravelingLongdogs said...

I have a 2008 RAV4 which we bought about a year and a half ago which I love. It's roomy without being big and comfortable.

Jim and Sandie said...

Hope you like the new one as well as you did the 98. It really is pretty and within budget is even better. Danica took quite the hit today. The 500 should be very exciting.

Gin and Syl said...

Nice set of wheels! Toyota makes a very nice car and it should last many years.
Syl

Alberta said...

I like your car and I love the color.It won't show the dirt,but I'll miss the red one.It's easy to spot you.Congratulations.I'm very happy for ya'll. love MOM

Mike and Terri said...

WOW!!! That's great. You'll be stylin' down the road now. Enjoy the new ride.

Margie and Roger said...

Very nice vehicle. Love the color. What a big change for you. Should make for a great driving experience. We'll be watching the Daytona 500 too!

squawmama said...

Good looking car ~ we need to trade ours too!!!
Have fun & Travel safe
Donna

Karen and Al said...

That's a good looking car. I've always loved the Rav4.

Al is getting the "truck bug." He wanted to go to the dealer, to "just look." Yeah right!

Easy Going Week - Birthday Party - Tornado Outbreak

 Sharlimar, FL   (Hi 78 Lo 66) It was a normal quieter week than last week. The normal schedule was Wii bowling Monday and Wednesday morning...