Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Today Was MY Day, and it's NOT My Birthday

I've waited my whole adult life for this day.  I kept checking our bank account for the past few days just in case it was early.  My Social Security came in today.  I know some of you are shrugging and thinking, so that's what all the fuss was about.  Hey, I worked three jobs at times and it feels good to get paid back for all that time.  I was so glad it came in without me having to fight to get it. We can relax a bit while on the road, at least it's coming in.

It was another hot day today.  Since we don't have laundry facilities in this park we went to Rick's to do our laundry. We picked up some gyros on the way for lunch and played on our laptops while waiting for the laundry to get done.  It was nice to have a good wireless connection and not worry about using too much bandwidth.   Usually the kids bring their laundry to the parents' home, but in our case we bring our laundry to our kid's home.  Quite a switch.

One site that I wanted to see was the owl "Molly" in a box. http://www.ustream.tv/theowlbox
I saw it on TV, and it's fascinating to watch.  The guy that has the cam on her comes in and tells what's going on when she's resting or quiet.  There were four eggs and two have hatched the other two should hatch before Saturday. It's wonderful watching nature at it's best. She's so caring.  I'll watch when I can but not on the MIFI.  It takes bandwidth, so warning for those that can't use much bandwidth.


Several people left today and several more moved in, mostly tent campers.  When we walk around the park it's the older people that are the most friendly. The younger families are more preoccupied and seem to be trying to get the most out of their short vacation stay.  By 10:00pm it's very quiet and very dark.  There are no street lights in the park and the only lights you see are flickering campfires. One camper came in today and parked beside us, but left a few hours later.  The only thing I can think of is, he has a j** that called him away.  It's so great being a full timer!  :)

Today Jim called and made reservations for the famcamp at Mayport Naval Base, FL in late October.  So far that's our favorite location that we've been to.  We'll stay there for a week while on the way to our winter Florida site.  The schedule is on the right side of the blog.

We still haven't been to the dunes, but maybe we'll head that way tomorrow.  I still want to hike the dunes like I did growing up.

10 comments:

A couple of newer paintings 2019 said...

Congrats on finally getting your SS!

Gypsy said...

Congratulations on getting your Social Security check without a hitch. I don't get SS (because I draw Fed. Civil Service retirement) but I did have to go in and sign up for Medicare, plus to ask to return to my maiden name after a disastrous and not-too-smart 3rd marriage. The people I dealt with (Asheville office) were wonderful and I got my Medicare card without a hitch, and it has my maiden name on it! I think social security is wonderful and I hope they aren't ever allowed to privatize it.

heyduke50 said...

way to go girl.. finally getting money from uncle sam...

Margie M. said...

Congratulations on this BIG day!

Prettypics123 said...

A giant congratulations on the social security check! Good for you! Enjoy!

Karen and Al said...

You need to go out and celebrate! I have to wait a few years, but Al get's in January!

I clicked on the owl nest box for a little while, and I enjoyed watching it, but I was afraid I would see Mama bring in something to feed the babies that would upset me. I know how nature works, but I don't like to see it.

Sam&Donna Weibel said...

Sam was amazed how easy it was to sign up for SS, He went on the web and 15 minutes later it told him how much he was elgible for and what day ot would be direct deposited, sure enough in May it started just like they said.No office visit's or phone tag. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

Kenny And Angela's Adventure said...

Congratulations it is a big day!!!

KarenInTheWoods said...

Wheeheee you be a rollin' in da big bucks now!

It's Champagne and Caviar every night.....

LakeConroePenny,TX said...

Congrats, Dee.
You must be getting your SS on the 2nd Wednesday. I get mine on the 3rd Wednesday. I guess it is just the folks on Disabilty that get it on the 1st of the month, any more. That would be one big payroll to manage!
The little owls are adorable, thanks.
Happy Trails, Penny, TX

Eclipse - Storms - Volunteer Dinner - Taxes - Painted Patio

 Shalimar, FL  (Hi  78   Lo 54)   Monday and Tuesday were the same as normal with Wii bowling, cards, and GBM zoom, diamond art and meditati...