Monday, December 20, 2010

Twitter/Tweets - Jim's Shopping Day

(Wauchula, FL -- Hi 68 Lo 48) - No clouds this morning but a bit chilly with the wind, but it sure warmed up to be a nice day.

Last night I watched the Survivor finale on TV and at the end of the show they give where they will be next season, which is Redemption Island.  While I was looking up where that is, I came across a Twitter Survivor forum board with hundreds of tweets streaming in real time, talking about the new rules for next season (Season 22). I was fascinated, so I watched for several minutes as the little tweets went on and on. Apparently Twitter has been connected to search engines so you may see a streaming tweet forum pop up while doing research on a subject.  Twitter is another communication tool, but one that forces you to be brief and to the point because you're limited to 140 characters per tweet.  It's like Facebook but faster and more condensed.  I'm always interested in communication from social networks.  If I had to start over in my working life (eewww!), I would try to be in the field of communications.

Jim spent the day out by himself shopping.  It's always a good idea to have a get away day, something for alone time.  He usually walks a lot faster then I do so that's another way he gets to be alone.  I do the grocery shopping and walk around the park for my alone time.

I had a comment on yesterday's blog about how I'm doing the e-book.  I'm taking each blog (1,089 of them so far) and cut and paste them to a Word document.  Then I reformat with title pages, and make sure margins, headers, and photos are all consistent.  It's very time consuming to go back and do all the previous posts.  But going forward I'll add each day's post to the document, so it won't be nearly as time consuming.  It's fun to go back read what we've done to get to this point in our full time journey.  At some time I may convert the whole thing to a .pdf file.  We're thinking of this as our legacy, to be left with our children and grandchildren.

My next project will be to get all our photos organized in Picasa, and make a web album for our friends and family to enjoy.  That will be a learning experience.  We bought a DVD full of computer instruction videos from Geeks on Tour, including some videos on Picasa.  That will be very helpful.

There will be a Christmas Eve party at the clubhouse this Friday night, and a carry in dinner on Christmas day.  So things are picking up here at the park.

Tonight is the eclipse of the moon. It's a special night because it's also the winter solstice. If you're up at 1:00am check it out.


The rest of this evening I'll catch up on blogs, watch some TV, and join the chat room.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like what you are doing with your blogs and pics. Good luck and have fun going through those old memories.

Barb said...

Your e-book is quite a project. You will have quite a legacy when it is done, and what fun to print out and read through it.

I'm afraid I won't see the eclipse of the moon tonight, totally stormy, overcast, and lots of wind tonight in San Diego. My thirsty plants are all happy, and so am I. I love the rain.

Jeff said...

Love your e-book concept. Just think of the great memories it will save.

KarenInTheWoods said...

Oh that Ebook idea is totally do-able. I think I might try that.

One word of warning about Picasa. They have a limit to their photo allowence and make you pay to add more storage. They MAKE you give them a credit card number and keep it on file and bill you automatically on a yearly basis.

Nope. Not me. I don't let my credit number to be billed automatically by anyone or any company.

Blogger uses Picasa to store all your images you use in your blog. And I reached my limit in just over a year. LOL Along with other albums I had posted there on Picasa.

So I started deleting my albums there and I will just let the blogger photos keep filling up the empty spaces.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

Visitor - Residential Counsel - Grandson Graduation

 Shalimar, FL   (Hi  76   Lo  69) Monday I went to my first class for yoga. I didn't realize it's all from youtube. I thought someon...