Monday, April 22, 2013

He/She Day - Birmingham Barons Baseball

(Hoover, AL)  Hi 76  Lo 46 – It was another chilly morning, but it warmed up nicely and turned out to be a beautiful day. A perfect day for baseball! I got to visit another professional baseball stadium today. I try to take in a game whenever we’re in a town or city that has a professional baseball team, whether it’s a minor or major league team. Today the Birmingham Barons (AA Affiliate of the Chicago White Sox) hosted the Huntsville Stars (AA Affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers).
The Barons opened the season at their new downtown ballpark (Regions Field) a couple of weeks ago. (Click on the photos to enlarge them.)
Regions field_Birmingham_AL (1) (Small)

Regions Field replaces the Hoover Metropolitan Stadium, which is just across the parking lot from our RV park. I arrived about 10:30 for the 11:30 businessman’s special. It gave me time to take a walk around to the outfield for an overall view of the park.
Regions field_Birmingham_AL (9) (Small)

It’s a beautiful facility. It has 8,500 chair seats, 23 luxury suites, and a large Club Lounge (exclusive for 400 members). That’s a lot of flash for a minor league team! From the outfield there’s a great view of the Birmingham skyline.
Regions field_Birmingham_AL (20) (Small)

This is the view from my seat.
Regions field_Birmingham_AL (22) (Small)

As you can see from the size of the crowd, apparently not many businessmen could get the afternoon off. :)  I moved around to different seats to compare the views. Here’s probably the best seat in the house, right behind home plate.
Regions field_Birmingham_AL (27) (Small)

I was amused by this gentleman reading a newspaper. He obviously wasn’t very interested in the game.
Regions field_Birmingham_AL (29) (Small)

The Barons won the game 3-1. There were a few excellent fielding plays, but overall not much offense. Coincidentally, I hope to attend a Huntsville Stars home game next week at our next destination.

While I was gone Dee took the opportunity to thoroughly clean our carpet, with carpet cleaner and a brush. She loves it when I’m out of her way so she can do some interior cleaning without me being underfoot. She also went around the rig and sprayed some WD-40 on all our cargo latches. Along with playing some computer games she started some trip planning for the summer of 2014. Never too early to do some high level planning I guess. :)  Add in the 1 1/2 mile walk she did, and she had a busy day. I almost feel guilty for having so much fun. (Nah, not really.)

I got home a little after 3pm and we both chilled for the rest of the afternoon and evening.

No comments:

St. Patrick's Day - Council Meeting - Concert

 Shalimar, FL   (Hi  63  Lo 47)    I'VE BEEN ASKED THAT THE FONT IT TOO SMALL. JUST DO A CONTROL +  AND IT WILL ENLARGE. CONTROL   -(min...