(Richmond, VA) Hi 83 Lo 71 - Not much happened today, just our typical blogs, email, TV, and a quick trip to Wal-Mart. So Dee thought this would be a good opportunity to humiliate myself and tell what happened to me (I mean us) a couple of days ago. I was going through one of our kitchen drawers looking for something (don't remember what) when I found this small leather case that looked like one of my several pocket knife belt pouches. I wondered how the heck one of my knives made it into a kitchen drawer. (I have a modest collection of knives that I have in a special box stored in our bedroom closet.) I unsnapped the top of the case and noticed something white sticking out. My brain was still locked onto the fact that I KNEW this was a knife pouch, so I grabbed the white "thing" and gave it a tug. It came off in my hand. Hmmm... that's strange. Still not thinking, I tried to push it back on. Of course you see this coming, right? When I pushed on it a small amount of liquid sprayed onto my left hand, on the fleshy part between my thumb and forefinger. At first I thought, "What the..." Then I thought "WHAT THE....!" My brain finally connected the dots... and about that time I starting feeling a slight tickle in my throat. And then a very bad tickle, then coughing, and eyes watering, and nose running... Dee, sitting in her recliner with her head buried in her laptop, realized what happened and TRIED to holler at me for being such a moron. But she couldn't get anything out because SHE started coughing, and her eyes were spewing tears, and her nose was spewing... well, you get the idea. She jumped up and raced me to the kitchen faucet. She won, so I had to run to the bathroom faucet (fortunately it's not far away in an RV). After splashing copious amounts of water on our faces, and down our throats, I opened our fantastic vent to air the place out. We eventually started feeling better, and it didn't take long to get the fumes out.
So it all ended well. We weren't in any real danger, after all pepper spray doesn't cause any real harm. But I gotta tell you, that stuff is POTENT! It was just a short spray onto my hand, and nowhere near my face. I couldn't imagine getting a direct spray into my face. And really, it wasn't my fault, was it? I mean, shouldn't she have told me she moved her "personal protection sprayer" from the car to the kitchen drawer? (She said she didn't want it in the car when we reach the Canadian border.) Anyway, we full-time RV'ers are supposed to tell about our mistakes with the hope that we help others avoid the same mistakes. But for the life of me I can't see how this will help, because no one else would be that stupid, would they?